Rafael Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup due to ‘personal reasons’
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the prestigious Laver Cup, meaning that he can’t defend his title against Novak Djokovic on Monday.
Nadal, the world’s best-performing male player, withdrew due to ‘personal reasons.’
The two-time Wimbledon champion, who has won all seven grand slam titles in the current men’s competition, will be replaced by Spaniard David Ferrer, who has been drawn in the second round.
Nadal is currently in New Zealand, where he is scheduled to play a couple of exhibition matches against players like Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez.
The first of which is in Auckland against No. 1 Rafael Nadal of Spain.
“I am going to prepare, and then I’m going to rest,” Nadal told reporters.
“I’m very happy. I’m trying to prepare in different areas. I will play tomorrow against Verdasco for an exhibition. I might play a little bit for a couple of days, and then the next day.
“It depends on my game. It depends on how I’m feeling physically, mentally, so I think that’ll be better for me.”
There was a bit of a mystery surrounding the withdrawal of Novak Djokovic from this year’s edition of the Laver Cup.
The defending champion has never defended his title at the tournament. The other previous defending champion has been Robin Soderling.
Nadal’s withdrawal opens the door for Spain’s David Ferrer, who will now be drawn against top seed Andy Murray. Nadal had pulled out of the Australian Open earlier in the week.
“I have the feeling that I’m not going to play on the clay, but I don’t know whether I’ll have enough energy to play a match on a clay court,” said Nadal.
“I don’t know.
“If I will have, then I will go up to Auckland and play against Rafael Nadal for an exhibition for the rest of the week. If not, then I will play a little bit from tomorrow and then the next day, depending on my game.”
Nadal, 29, won Wimbledon in 2012 and came back the following year to win Wimbledon again